If you are looking to learn a foreign language, then you need to consider learning any one of the most popular languages, spoken and understood by a majority of population in the world.
Learning a popular language can enable you to remain ahead of the curve than your peers who know only a limited set of languages.
Knowledge of any one or some of the most popular languages can provide a professional or a job candidate an edge over their counterparts who know only one or two languages. That is because the candidate is already equipped with the knowledge of a foreign lingo and understands the nuances of the speech.
That will mean that the candidate or the professional will be in a better position to work closely with a great number of employers, clients, managers, colleagues, and customers who speak the popular language.
Apart from this, there are numerous benefits of learning a popular foreign language and learning a foreign language is not that difficult if some tips are followed to master the language faster.
Some benefits of learning a popular language:
- It significantly increases your employment prospects: Learning a popular language can greatly enhance your employment prospects and can enable you to get a job in the countries where the language is being spoken.
- It helps you to understand your employer’s needs: After you get a job in the country where the language is spoken, you can be able to better understand your employer’s requirements and the language barrier will cease to exist.
- It helps you to be well understood: After learning a new language, you will be well understood by the natives of the country in which you will be working in.
- It helps you to understand what people say: Learning a new language can help you to hear and understand what the locals and natives of the country are saying and speaking.
- It enables you to efficiently and effectively interact with your clients: Learning a popular language can help you to efficiently and effectively interact with your clients and understand their needs.
- It helps you to serve your customers in a better way: Learning a popular language can definitely help you to serve your customers in a better way.
- It can help you to collaborate with your co-workers: Learning a popular language can help you to collaborate with your co-workers and establishing a great sense of camaraderie.
Now that we have listed the benefits of learning some of the benefits of learning a foreign language, let’s have a look at the three most popular languages that can give you an edge and help you remain ahead of the curve.
There are five main dialects in spoken Chinese – Mandarin, Yue, Hakka, Wu, and Min. Mandarin is the most commonly spoken language in the mainland. The Yue dialect includes Cantonese that is spoken in the China’s specially administered region of Hong Kong. The other spoken dialects cover more than 200 other dialects.
The language is spoken in more than 35 countries and it has more than 1.2 billion native speakers across the globe. Written Chinese, which is based on pictograms, comes in two ways – traditional and simplified. Traditional Chinese is the language of choice for Taiwan and Hong Kong, while the Mainland China use simplified Chinese. The tonal Chinese language is the hardest to master.
If we count only the people who speak Spanish as their native language, they will surpass the people who speak English as their first language with more than 400 million people. The striking fact about Spanish is that the language is spoken in several countries across the globe, covering a minimum of 50 percent of the continents including Spain, Central and South America and a substantial part of the United States of America.
But, if you were to ask a Quechua or Castilian or Catalan if Spanish is their language, you may get different answers. Four different languages – Catalan, Basque (Euskarian), Spanish (Castilian), and Galician-Portuguese – are spoken throughout Spain with each language considered as the official language as per its location.
There are, of course, several variations in the dialect of the language spoken in Spain as against the language spoken in Mexico or Latin America. There are several notable differences in grammar, vocabulary and diction between the two regions.
English language is universal with more than 375 million native English speakers and over 1.5 billion people who speak the language as their second language. The language is spoken across the globe for the purpose of business, education, and international relations.
The language is also studied and learnt for cultural reasons and to work with the English speaking population all over the world.
English is the language that has picked up various forms of dialects depending on the place it is spoken. From the UK, to the US, to Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, the language has slightly varied dialects all over the globe.